Claude Agents SDK vs LangGraph: What 6 Months in Production Taught Me
My token bill went up ~35% after I moved a workload to the Claude Agents SDK, and it was still the best trade I made this year. Here's the honest Claude Agents SDK vs LangGraph comparison I wish I'd read before choosing.
๐บ️ Table of Contents
This is a long one, so here's the map:
- Why I ran both frameworks for six months - Where the Claude Agents SDK pulls ahead - Where LangGraph earns its keep - Head to head: the comparison table - The decision checklist - My own resolution and the solo founder math - FAQ - Conclusion
๐งช Why I Ran Both Frameworks for Six Months
I build automation products as a solo founder, and my main pipeline does research, drafting, and outreach for B2B clients. Six months ago that pipeline ran entirely on LangGraph. It worked. It also demanded a lot of me: every new capability meant new nodes, new edges, new state schema fields, and a fresh round of debugging when the graph did something I didn't expect.
When Anthropic's Claude Agents SDK matured into a real production option, I didn't rip anything out. I rebuilt one workload, the research agent, on the SDK and ran it next to the LangGraph version on the same live traffic. Same tasks, same clients, same six month window. That gave me something most agent framework comparisons don't have: two implementations of the same job, measured against each other in production.
The short version of what I found: the SDK version cost ~35% more in model spend and cut my maintenance time by roughly two thirds. The LangGraph version stayed cheaper per run and kept giving me deterministic control that the SDK simply doesn't offer in the same way. Neither result surprised me once I understood what each tool actually is. The rest of this post unpacks that.
One framing note before we start. These two tools aren't really competitors in the way the headline suggests. LangGraph is an orchestration framework where you define the control flow. The Claude Agents SDK is an agent harness where the model drives and you define the boundaries. Once you see that difference, most of the 'which wins' debate resolves itself into 'which wins for your workload.'
⚡ Where the Claude Agents SDK Pulls Ahead
The SDK's core pitch is that Anthropic already solved the boring, hard parts of running an agent, so you don't have to. In my rebuild, that pitch mostly held up. My research workload went from roughly 1,400 lines of graph and state code in LangGraph to about 300 lines of SDK configuration, tool definitions, and prompts. That's the difference between owning an orchestration engine and renting one.
Anthropic positions the SDK as the same harness that powers Claude Code, and in practice it feels like that. The agent loop, tool execution, retries, and error handling all come built in. I stopped writing plumbing and started writing instructions.
It's not free lunch. You're accepting Anthropic's opinions about how an agent should run, and you're accepting Claude as your model. For my workload, both were fine. For yours, they might not be, and that's exactly what the LangGraph section is for.
Context management you don't have to build
Long-running agents die by context window. In LangGraph I built my own summarization node, my own message-trimming logic, and my own 'what do we keep' heuristics. The SDK handles compaction automatically: when a session gets long, it compresses earlier turns and keeps working. In six months I haven't had a single context overflow failure on the SDK version. The LangGraph version had them monthly until I hardened my trimming code, and hardening it took real engineering time.
Subagents and MCP out of the box
The SDK ships with file operations, bash execution, web tools, and first-class subagents. Spawning a specialized worker agent is a config entry, and connecting external services goes through MCP, which by late 2026 has become the default integration layer for most of the agent tooling I touch. In LangGraph, each of those is something you wire up yourself or pull from the ecosystem and then maintain. Neither approach is wrong. One of them is a lot faster to ship.
๐ ️ Where LangGraph Earns Its Keep
I want to be fair here, because I still run LangGraph in production and I'm not planning to stop. There are jobs where it's clearly the better tool, and pretending otherwise would make this a worse comparison.
LangGraph's superpower is that you know exactly what your system will do. The graph is the program. If step C must never run before step B, you encode that as an edge and it's guaranteed. With the SDK, you write that constraint in prose and hooks, and the model almost always respects it. 'Almost always' is a fine bar for a research assistant. It's a terrible bar for anything touching money, compliance, or irreversible actions.
Checkpointing is the other feature I'd genuinely miss. LangGraph persists state at every step, so I can pause a run, inspect it, rewind it, and resume it. Human-in-the-loop approval gates took me an afternoon to add. Paired with LangSmith for tracing, debugging a weird production run means replaying it step by step instead of reading a long transcript and guessing.
And then there's the money. Because I control every model call in LangGraph, I route aggressively: cheap models for classification and extraction, expensive models only where judgment matters. The SDK's agent loop decides for itself how much thinking and tool calling a task needs, and it errs toward thoroughness. That's most of where my ~35% cost gap came from, and I'll show the actual numbers below.
Model flexibility is leverage
LangGraph doesn't care whose model you use. Claude today, something else tomorrow, three different providers in one graph if the economics say so. The Claude Agents SDK is a Claude harness, full stop. If provider independence matters to your business, or you're serving clients who mandate specific models, that alone can settle the choice.
๐ Head to Head: The Comparison Table
Here's how the two stack up on the dimensions that actually mattered in my six months of running both. Treat this as a summary of the arguments above, not a scorecard where more checkmarks wins. A single row can decide the whole choice if it's the row your business depends on.
| Dimension | Claude Agents SDK | LangGraph |
|---|---|---|
| Core model | Agent harness: the model drives, you set boundaries | Orchestration graph: you define every step |
| Control flow | Emergent, guided by prompts and hooks | Deterministic and guaranteed |
| Context management | Automatic compaction built in | You build trimming and summarization yourself |
| Model support | Claude only | Any provider, mix and match |
| State and replay | Session-based, limited rewind | Checkpointing, time travel, human-in-the-loop gates |
| Code to maintain (my workload) | ~300 lines | ~1,400 lines |
| Monthly model spend (my workload) | ~$243 | ~$180 |
| Debugging | Read the transcript, adjust prompts and hooks | Replay the graph step by step with LangSmith |
| Best fit | Open-ended tasks: research, coding, multi-step knowledge work | Regulated, auditable, or cost-sensitive pipelines |
✅ The Decision Checklist
So which one should you pick? Run your project through this list. Every item is a signal pointing toward the Claude Agents SDK. The more of them that describe your situation, the more the SDK fits. If only one or two apply, LangGraph's control is worth the extra code you'll write and maintain.
- ✔Your agent's job is open-ended: research, coding, analysis, or multi-step tasks where the path can't be known in advance
- ✔You're already committed to Claude models and don't need provider flexibility
- ✔You'd rather ship this month than own and maintain orchestration code
- ✔Long-running sessions are blowing past your context window today
- ✔You want subagents and MCP integrations without writing the plumbing
- ✔No regulator or client will ever ask you to prove the exact execution path a run took
- ✔A wrong-but-recoverable action costs you an apology, not money or legal exposure
- ✔You're a small team or solo, and your hours are the scarcest resource in the business
๐ธ My Own Resolution and the Solo Founder Math
For my checklist above, seven of the eight items describe my research workload, so it stayed on the Claude Agents SDK. My outreach pipeline fails the 'prove the execution path' and 'recoverable action' items, because it sends things to real humans on behalf of clients. It stayed on LangGraph. I ended the six months running both, on purpose.
Now the money, because this is where the decision got real for me. The LangGraph version of my research workload averaged about $180/month in model spend, mostly because I routed cheap models everywhere I could. The SDK version averaged about $243/month on the same traffic, roughly 35% more, because the agent loop explores more and carries bigger context.
That premium is about $63/month. Here's the other side of the ledger. Maintaining the LangGraph version took me around 15 hours a month: graph changes, state migrations, trimming-logic fixes, debugging edge cases. The SDK version takes about 4 hours, mostly prompt and hook adjustments. That's 11 hours back every month. I bill $70/hour for consulting work, so those hours are worth roughly $770/month to me, against a $63 premium.
That math won't transfer to everyone. If you're running high volume where model spend dwarfs engineering time, a 35% token premium is a monster and LangGraph's routing control wins. If you're a solo founder whose bottleneck is hours, the SDK's premium is a rounding error against the time it returns. Know which of those businesses you're in before you pick.
❓ Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Claude Agents SDK actually production ready?
In my six months it's been stable, and Anthropic positions it as the same harness that powers Claude Code, which is a meaningful production pedigree. That said, it's younger than LangGraph as a public framework, so I'd still pilot one workload before betting a whole product on it, which is exactly what I did.
Can I use LangGraph and the Claude Agents SDK together?
Yes, and it's a pattern I've seen work in a handful of production stacks this year, including my own: LangGraph as the deterministic outer pipeline for auditable steps, with SDK agents invoked as workers for the open-ended parts like research or code generation. You get guarantees where you need them and autonomy where it pays.
Does LangGraph work with Claude models?
Yes. LangGraph is model-agnostic, so you can run Claude for every node if you want. The difference is that you're orchestrating Claude yourself instead of using Anthropic's built-in agent loop, which means more control and more code.
Which one is cheaper to run?
On my workload, LangGraph, by about 35% in model spend, because I could route cheap models to cheap tasks. But total cost includes your engineering time. The SDK cut my maintenance from ~15 hours to ~4 hours a month, which outweighed the $63/month token premium for me. Measure both sides for your own volume.
๐ Final Thoughts
So who wins for production agents in 2026? After six months running both on live traffic, my answer is that the question picks the winner. The Claude Agents SDK wins when the task is open-ended and your hours are the constraint: it cost me ~35% more in tokens and gave me back 11 hours a month, which was an easy trade. LangGraph wins when you need deterministic control flow, model flexibility, checkpointed state, or tight cost routing, and nothing in the SDK replaces those guarantees. Most agent builders I talk to frame this as an either-or. It doesn't have to be. Run the checklist, pilot the SDK on one open-ended workload, and keep LangGraph where determinism pays the bills. If this comparison saved you a migration mistake, subscribe to Agents at Work for more production-tested breakdowns, and tell me in the comments which stack you're running. I read every reply.
Last updated: September 04, 2026 · Keyword: Claude Agents SDK vs LangGraph · Agents at Work

Comments
Post a Comment